There are 6 Traditional Owner groups in the Northern Cassowary Coast Local Landscape, as shown in the image to the right. See below for a brief description of each group’s connection to country or click on the links to access contact details for these groups.
- Wanyurr Majay – The Wanyurr Majay People’s Native Title rights and interests have been recognised over approximately 200 square kilometres of land near Babinda, including part of Wooroonooran National Park. The Wanyurr Majay Aboriginal Corporation RNTBC administers the responsibilities and obligations associated with the Native Title determination.
- Ngadjon-ji (Choorechillum) – Choorechillum (Ngadjon Jii PBC) Aboriginal Corporation RNTBC administer native title rights over land and waters in parts of the Wooroonooran National Park, and further onto the Tablelands into Topaz Road National Park, Malanda Falls Conservation Park and two quarry reserves.
- Mamu – The Mamu Aboriginal Corporation RNTBC administers land on behalf of the Mamu people. Their native title rights and interests were first recognised in 2013, with a determination granted over traditional lands stretching from Cooper Point in the north to North Maria Creek in the south.
- Djiru – The Djiru Warrangburra Aboriginal Corporation administers land on behalf of the Djiru people. The Djiru people are recognised native title holders of 9,440 hectares of land and waters in Mission Beach and surrounding areas including areas of national parks, reserves, unallocated State land and other leases.
- Gulngay – The Gulngay people are the Traditional Owners of country around Tully, extending from the coast, up the Tully River in the west, across the Murray River in the south and up to and including the Walter Hill Range in the north, and including the eastern sections of Tully Gorge National Park.
- Wabubadda (Jirrbal) – The Wabubadda Aboriginal Corporation has been established as the Prescribed Body Corporate for the Jirrbal people. Native Title rights have been granted over traditional land and waters in and around the townships of Ravenshoe and Herberton and the surrounding ranges.
Traditional Owner Contact Map
The Traditional Owner contact map is interactive, allowing users to find contact details for the appropriate Traditional Owner groups for most locations across the Wet Tropics region.
Traditional Owner groups across the Wet Tropics
For more Local Cultural Connections showing Traditional Owner groups in locations across the Wet Tropics, please click on the local landscape below.