Last updated on January 20th, 2019
Hinchinbrook Traditional Owners
Traditional Owner Contact Map
For an interactive map of Traditional Owner contact details across the Wet Tropics NRM region, click on the link below.
There are 5 Traditional Owner groups in the Hinchinbrook Local Landscape, as shown in the image to the right. See below for a brief description of each group’s connection to country or click on the links to access contact details for these groups.
A link to the Traditional Owner contact map for all groups across the Wet Tropics region is also included on the right.
- Bandjin – The traditional lands and waters of the Bandjin people encompass Hinchinbrook Island and adjacent mainland and marine areas, in the southern part of the Wet Tropics region.
- Warrgamay – The Warrgamay people have traditional connections to country west of Ingham and through to the coast at Halifax Bay, in the lower reaches of the Herbert River Catchment.
- Nywaigi – The Nywaigi people are the most southern of the Wet Tropics Traditional Owners. In 2018, they were granted Native Title rights over parts of Paluma Range National Park and along the coast to near Halifax.
- Wulgurukaba – The Wulgurukaba are Aboriginal Traditional Owners from the very southern part of the Wet Tropics region, into the Dry Tropics and including off shore islands, such as Magnetic Island.
- Gugu Badhun – Gugu Badhun’s traditional lands are west of Ingham, from the George and Seaview Ranges, across to Lava Plains and to Emu Creek. Native Title rights have been granted over more than 6,500km2 in the Upper Burdekin catchment.