Click on the map image below to open the CliMas Tool and compare species distribution maps at different time points.
- Add the species or group you would like to view distribution maps for.
- Select the time point (tip: choose current to see distribution now).
- To compare your species distribution at another time point, click show right map.
- Select the same species or group on the right hand side of the map.
- Choose the time point you are interested in, then the emission scenario and model summary on the right hand side of the map.
- Scroll the slider bar to compare your species distributions at different times.
CliMAS provides interactive maps and regional reports to examine the future of species distributions and biodiversity across Australia.
It summarises mapped biodiversity of almost all Australian mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, and freshwater fish and crayfish within suitable climate space projected by 18 different Global Climate Models (GCMs) and 2 potential emissions scenarios (RCPs) from 2015 to 2085. Detailed lists of climate space losses and gains for each species are given.
Each map type is offered at nine time points, two emission scenarios, and either the 10th, 50th or 90th percentile across the set of models used to project the future climate.
In additon, easy comparisons can be made by loading two maps and switching between them, demonstrated in the animation above which compares current and future distributions of the Northern Blossom Bat.